Friday, January 2, 2009

Inspired by .... Laura Ryan

I love getting the Cloth Paper Scissors magazine as I find many of the projects inspiring. Here is one project I have actually finished. In Issue 16 Jan/Feb 2008 on page 28 Laura Ryan shows how she turned an old pair of overalls into an art apron name tag with heaps of pockets.

WOW I so wanted to do that! However I didn't have any overalls ... never fear we have plenty of op shops in town ... pity none of them had overalls. A few months later on another op shop foray I found a pair of maternity overall/shorts - perfect.

With scissors, sewing machine, brushes and bleach I was ready to go. Word of warning - use bleach in a very ventilated space AND bleach eats away at your brush bristles so use cheap brushes. Below is a picture of my art apron. I love the fact that I can add embellishments to it over time so it is an evolving object. It was far easier to make than I expected and I'm really happy with the result.