Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Sex Talk .... aaaarrrggghhhhhh

Who would have thought I would have to have "the sex talk" when Princess Ruby is only 6!

After the ultrasound that confirmed the we were indeed having a Princess, Dear Heart was jubilent because he wouldn't have to play footy with her. My heart sunk at the thought of being the one to give the sex talk, my only relief was that it wouldn't be for at least a decade. How wrong was I?

Dear Heart and I have always believed that it was important that Princess Ruby knew the proper words for body parts and even though this has caused some strife over the years ... police on the doorstep ... we have made sure that we stuck to our guns.

Over the years the questions asked have been relatively simple to answer. My friend Janelle had given me a great picture book called "Hair in funny places" that has dealt with many of the earlier questions. However a new awareness has dawned on our little one this year and the questions have become more complex.

For example:
  • what is sex?
  • how does the baby come out of the vagina when the vagina is so small?
  • do tampons go in your anus?

Obviously her little ears have heard the word sex mentioned and wanted to know what it was. I really did try to explain it in a simple 6 year old way however her best friend had been a little more graphic than I so more questions arrived. I was fairly lucky to find another picture pop up book that uses the same words as we do that explained in a little more detail. At the end of that discussion her questions were:
  • how does the penis get into the vagina when it is so floppy?
  • does it hurt?

So if you haven't had to give the sex talk yet think yourself lucky and be prepared!

2 comments:

dorden53 said...

Hello nice to look at your blog - congratulations on number 2 - now let the games begin - two is fine until number 2 tells number 1 NO!
Gordon still in the uk

Miss Oddity said...

Gordon,

Fantastic to hear from you! I hope all is well there - it has been snowing here!

I think I must have got something drastically wrong in the original post as I am not having another baby. One is way more than enough for me!

I've been meaning to get back in touch with you re family history stuff. Will try to do that this week.

Kisses
Liz